Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A thought , A Valentine, and an idea!

So, as I was sitting with my cute little Visiting teachers today we were talking about being "present" with our children. I laughed and told them that more times than I care to admit, I will take my kids to the park and get bugged if they want me to push them on a swing or play with them. Heaven forbid I act like a mom! So, I am really trying to make a more conscious effort at really being with my kids!

With that said, tonight, I had them gather around the table after dinner to make a little craft! I went to the dollar section at Target and found these little mailboxes. I let the kids decorate them (which was really hard for me - I had visions-but whatever!) They turned out cute and I told them that each day there would be a treat or an activity in their mailbox. They just needed to look to see if their flag was raised. I let them write notes to one another and I helped Parker write one to Caitlin - pretty funny! So..I can check off being "present' tonight!





Parker came up with that little phrase!



These are just some of the little goodies I picked up in the dollar section at Target to put in their mailboxes.


Oh.. and aren't these the cutest little valentines ever? I got them for free from this website! You can still order them through February 1st! I can't wait to give these to Parker's preschool teacher and Grandma's and Grandpa's! Who wouldn't want him for a Valentine?

11 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Okay..when I saw this post a bit of panic came across me with Valentines! I need to get moving and those are so cute!
-sandy toe

tammy said...

From what I've seen, you are always present for your kids. Cute idea! And thanks for the linky.

Kim W said...

I saw your blog on Laura's comments and have seen you on Diane's. If you're looking for a calm puppy, who is already on the potty trained track, check out my blog. I know you weren't really serious, but if you become so I can "hook you up". Ha!

Princess Sarah said...

Cute idea Heather! I think they did a great job decorating their little mailboxes! Lucky kids!

Mark and Meghan said...

such cute little mail boxes...they definitely don't have those at my target's dollar section! wish they did though. such a cute idea heather. and you heard about those valentines from penny pile right? (that i told you about?) right? anyway so funny because i chose the exact same valentine card but it has porter and claire's picture on it! hopefully mom and dad get mine first...hahaha!

Elizabeth said...

that is such a cute idea I can't even stand it! I seriously need to start doing fun things like that with my kids!

Annemarie said...

Very cute. Everyone at our house got a little mailbox for Christmas. It's been a fun thing for the kids to write letters and notes to eachother!

These Are The Days said...

So dang cute. Sorry you missed my drawing!

Kelley said...

What a cute idea. I can't believe Sunday is February 1st!!!

katie mcphee said...

heather sadleir! i wish i was as creative as you are, my kid is going to think im a lameo mom fo sho. i love what parker wrote on his note and i love those super cute valentines...im on the freakin count down, this baby is coming out soon! about 10 days left, but maybe sooner...anyway miss you heather sadleir!

Happy Home Fairy said...

This is so sweet! Your family is so cute - a Happy Home indeed! And I love that you encourage them to be kind to one another. You inspired me - Thank you!