Monday, November 17, 2008

November 17th - I am thankful for....

Family Home Evening!

Tonight - I am so excited because I am going to talk about Thanksgiving with my kids and the importance of being grateful for all of our blessings!

I made this "I am Thankful" board because there are 11 days left until Turkey Day and I thought it would be fun to have the kids help create memories and daily think about why we should be grateful! (Okay so the elementary school teacher is coming out of me right now)

This was so simple to make - I jut took clear cups and hot glued them to card stock that I also glued to cardboard (to keep it sturdy). I filled the cups with little notes that would work for our family ( I listed them below) and than I glued the tissue paper square to the cup and smacked a number of the day on top. Each day I will let one of them punch the little tissue paper cup and read the message. We will then go and do whatever it says.

I am hoping the Thankful Bug will hit them on the head!

We are thankful for our legs.
Let’s go for a walk around the lake
And feed the ducks!

We are thankful for our grand parentss.
Let’s write them a letter and tell them
That we love them.

We are thankful for our kitchen.
Let’s make some pilgrim hat cookies!.

We are thankful for good food.
Let's make some butternut squash soup!.

We are thankful for Turkeys!
Let's make a Turkey craft.

We are thankful to be kind to others.
Let’s go deliver some anonymous cookies
to our neighbors!.

We are thankful for Daddy.
Let’s do something nice for him today!

We are thankful for each other.
Let’s play a game together!.

We are thankful for our eyes.
Let's watch a Thanksgiving show together.

We are thankful for pies.
Let’s go pick out a pie to eat after dinner.

We are thankful for being healthy.
Let's make a strawberry/banana smoothie!.

At the end - I will have one more Thankful slip
I am thankful for my family!
Let's write something nice about each member of
our family and share it with each other!

I will keep you posted on how it goes over here! I tag everyone to do something similar!



11 comments:

Pyatt said...

Seriously...can I take a parenting class from you...that is so much fun...tell me how your kids like it!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH my goodness...I love this...how fun...I may have to copy!
-sandy toes

These Are The Days said...

Very cute idea. I just love your blog, and you and your sisters are all so pretty.

Annemarie said...

Would you pleeeaaase cut it out. I'm starting to feel inadequate over here. Gheeze.

OK, we ARE tying a blanket for the rehab center by our house for FHE...but I didn't make it.

Elizabeth said...

that is such a great idea! I think I might try that!!

Kelly said...

I snuck onto your blog from the Konolds and although I may not be invited, I am commenting anyways. You really are amazing and make the rest of us smucks who sing a song for FHE feel ridiculous!!! Lucky family:)

jaime said...

if only i would have looked at your blog earlier this afternoon...

our "thankful" FHE is pretty lame.

darling idea.

Melissa-Mc said...

Cute idea.

I love FHE too. It is such a fun phase to have it with the kids.

Wendie said...

Can I add something that I'm thankful for? Bailey! She is the sweetest little girl I know. On Sunday, Ty came into Primary late because he fell asleep in sacrament meeting. He was a little groggy and probably shy. He went to sit down on the empty chair in his class row and one of the kids told him that he couldn't sit there, so he moved to the row in front of his class to sit by himself. Sweet Bailey got up and gave Ty her chair and she went to sit by herself in the other row. How many 5 year olds would do that?

ferntyler said...

wow - that is so cute! I'm going to have to check your blog more often and copy more of your cute ideas.

tammy said...

Fun idea!