Tuesday, December 7, 2010

12 Days of Kindness!



Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. 
Leo F. Buscaglia




I had FHE with the kids on Monday night and we talked about being grateful and serving others. Every night we read from a collection of Christmas stories that my best friend made for me several years ago. It is so great to settle down each night and find a story to read and than talk about the message.  Well, we talked a lot about our blessings and I made the kids realize just how fortunate they were - you know - food to eat, a warm house to live in, grandparents close by, and the list went on from there. I also made them watch the Oprah Winfrey special about people doing kind acts of service for others. That was a huge hit! 
{I saw a couple of tears}
I have seen some really cute advent calendars out there for the big countdown to Christmas and we have even done them every year as a family. But this year, I thought I would mix things up a little! So... I made the 12 Days of Kindness bags for my kids and each day we are going to open one of the bags and do exactly whatever service project it says.

This is a fun idea for older kids as well as little ones - These are the ideas I put inside the bags!
Copy if you want  - it's not too late to do something similar!

Call someone – a teacher a friend – and tell them Thank you for something they have done that you want to recognize!
 
Clean up trash and beatify a local park!
 
Drop off anonymous letters to the neighbors front doors.
 
Write special Christmas cards to your grandparents!
 
Let’s babysit for a mom so she can go Christmas shopping.
 
Bake and deliver some homemade bread to the Salvation Army bell ringers.
 
Tape some candy canes and Christmas notes at a local store.
 
Leave Christmas gifts on someones doorstep without them knowing who it is!
 
Donate old toys, clothes or household items to local Goodwill or Deseret.
 
Candy Cane someone’s door with candy canes and special notes!
 
Smile at everyone you see today and see if it makes a difference!
 
Let’s do the toothpaste experiment – than write kind things about one another.
The toothpaste experiment is pretty fun. You basically squeeze out the entire tube of toothpaste and than ask the kids if we can get it back into the tube. Of course we can't and that goes with the things we say about other people. {they can't be taken back!} Than pass around paper and let each family member write something nice about each other that we will read out loud.
So...I hope this makes a small difference and helps not only my children but myself realize how fortunate we are and what a difference something small can mean to someone else!
"I believe in 
the magic of kindness."

2 comments:

MBlairsLars said...

You are such a great mom! I am always inspired by you!!!

Patti said...

What a fun idea! I love to read your blog, Heather. I'm recovering from surgery and have my new iPad with me always so it is fun to read blogs all day if I want! Merry Christmas!